Thursday, May 9, 2013

We're not baby Bears anymore...

Well, this is it. As the last few days of freshman year slowly roll around, about as fast as I get out of bed for my finals, I can't help but feel like an incredibly substantial part of my life is about to pass right before my eyes. But is it really just passing by if I made the most of it?

I may or may not have been a loser in high school. Certainly I wasn't very social outside of the band and the honors kids. But that was kind of the thing with public school: I'd been around the same people for thirteen years of my life- there wasn't any need to try and make new friends. When I came to university, I blossomed. I have no idea how and I have no idea why, but I realized my passion was something I never pursued in grade school: meeting new people. I absolutely love it, and if I go long enough without associating with some new friend circle, I crave it. As far as networking goes, I wouldn't say that it's a bad habit to have.

Before this year I wasn't sure it was possible to be on the top of the academic pyramid and the social ladder at the same time, but apparently more things change from high school to college than the strictness of the dress code. Nobody makes fun of you for being on the Dean's list or receiving scholarships, that would be ridiculous. Those things are great for the future, and merit congratulations. Instead of being called a nerd, somebody who strives for perfection is praised by library lurkers and alcohol admirers alike.

I'm not saying that I'm some hot-shot McGee who has a full ride scholarship and gets invited to every single sorority formal on campus. I'm just saying that for the first time, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself this summer. I never used to want school to start, but right now school is fantastic and I love it, and I think that transformation is pretty cool. I know that I've learned a lot, both in class and out, and I can honestly say that this has been the most important year of my life so far. Here's to next year.

P.s. I'm finishing a small book this summer about the do's and don'ts of freshman year, but I hit a roadblock a few weeks before finals started. I could use some encouragement in that aspect of my life right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment